Re: auto vacuuming

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: auto vacuuming
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> writes:
> My reason for wanting to turn it off is that every time it would run
> the fans on my development system would rev up.

Well, I have an equally lame reason for wanting to not run autovac:
it'll interfere with profiling because the autovac daemon will drop a
gmon.out file once a minute or so, and maybe overwrite a profiling run's
results before you can print them out.

But AFAICS both of these wishes can be served pretty well just by
increasing autovacuum_naptime to some large value, once a day maybe.
They don't strike me as compelling reasons why autovac should be turned
off entirely.