Re: Unique Index

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Unique Index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 20, 2005, at 16:03, David Garamond wrote:

> Dann Corbit wrote:
>> True, but the standard says nothing about the creation of an index, so
>> you can make it behave in any way that you see fit.
>
> But I thought we are talking about unique _constraint_ here (which is
> certainly regulated by the standard).

They could conceivably be separated. The standard likewise doesn't say
anything about how the unique constraint is enforced. In PostgreSQL, a
"unique" index is used to enforce the constraint, but the unique index
is not intrinsically tied to the unique constraint.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com