Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes

От Ivan Zolotukhin
Тема Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

On 3/28/06, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anybody know good comparison/review article of XML support in
> > major RDMBSes? I know that PostgreSQL's XML capabilities are quite
> > weak, but how far is it from other products?
>
> Could you please desribe a specific example of what you would like to
> do and how you would not be able to do that via PostgreSQL.  I think
> you will find with functions of various languages you can do just
> about anything.  You could for example load up exported functions from
> Xalan/Xerces XML libaray.

Actually, at this moment I'm just interested in possibilities to
combine relational and XML approaches in my projects and therefore
want to understand defferences between implementations of XML support
in DBMSes. I'm sure that I won't stop using relational model - so,
native XML databases are almost out of my interest.

For example, let's consider web application with heterogeneous data
(internal data is stored in relational tables but there is a lot of
data from outside, that were imported from different places and -
surely, as XML is the language to speak with other apps - it's much
better to store this data 'as is', e.g. as a set of XMLs. Then, I need
to manipulate with mixture of relational and XML portions of data...)

Sure, PostgreSQL is the main DB I use. So, at the best I'll use it's
abilities, but I see that its XML support is weak.

BTW, are there any plans for its improvement? What are the first steps
for the people who want to contribute to PostgreSQL in this field?

Sincerely,
Ivan Zolotukhin

Сообщение: Re: best practice in upgrading db structure
Сообщение: Re: best practice in upgrading db structure