Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 7/10/19 6:13 AM, David Harper wrote:
>> I actually agree with your opinion that "midnight" is fine.
>> That text has been that way for over fifteen years[1], and
>> nobody's complained before that it was ambiguous.
>
> Conversely, how many users over the past fifteen years have read that table, and then felt compelled (as I did) to
runa query such as

>   select 'today'::timestamp,'yesterday'::timestamp,'tomorrow'::timestamp;
>
> on their PostgreSQL cluster to clear the ambiguity for themselves?

I've heard of one, but only just recently :)

If we were to s/midnight/00:00:00/ we'd probably want to do it
everywhere midnight appears. This occurs in a few places in the docs:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-formatting.html (SSSS)
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-replication.html
(XlogData section)

and there are some various code comments as well.

Count me as a +0 vote, as I've always interpreted it the way Bruce & Tom
said upthread, but if we want to change it I can write a patch.

Jonathan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]
Сообщение: Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]