Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Logical replication timeout results in PANIC inpg_wal "No space left on device"

От Rui DeSousa
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Logical replication timeout results in PANIC inpg_wal "No space left on device"
Дата
Ответ на Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Logical replication timeout results in PANIC inpg_wal "No space left on device"  (Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>)
Список pgsql-admin

On Nov 13, 2018, at 11:06 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:

On 13/11/18 5:35 μ.μ., Rui DeSousa wrote:

On Nov 13, 2018, at 7:00 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:

Is there a way for the WAL receiver to not have detected the termination of the replication stream?

The teardown of the network socket on the upstream server should send a reset packet to the downstream server and at that point the WAL receiver would close its connection.  Is there any firewalls, router, rules, etc between the nodes that could have dropped the packet?

No

If both nodes are up and able to communicate with each other then the OS should teardown the connection; why is that not happening?  You stated that you’re in the cloud; cloud providers use a software network and all endpoints have ACLs — a.k.a firewall. I would also check to see if iptables is running… it on by default.

Have there been changes to how you deploy new ACLs, etc?

The fact that WAL sender terminated and WAL receiver did not; points to the WAL receiver not being able to communicate with the upstream server.

Shouldn't normally the WAL receiver detect this and try again in wal_retrieve_retry_interval ?

Not really… if the connection has already been torn down; the upstream server would send another reset packet on the next request and in this case it would.  However, if request packets at not reaching the upstream server; i.e. due to firewall silently dropping the packets (personally I believe firewall should always set reset packets to friendly hosts) then what happens is the TCP/IP send queue builds up with the requests packets instead — a t this point waiting on the OS to terminate the connection which can day or two depending on your TCP/IP setting.

Again no dropping, no firewall.

Again, if both nodes are up and are able to communicate then the this should get resolved on its own.

What you want to use instead is wal_receiver_timeout to detect the given case where upstream server either no longer exists or the firewall, etc is silently dropping packets.

Once again from my original message :
"while setting up logical replication since August we had seen early on the need to increase max_receiver_timeout and max_sender_timeout from 60sec to 5mins"

So with wal_receiver_timeout='5 min', the receiver never detected any timeout.

It should have reached the timeout and the connection should be torn down.  It could be that the send queue is backed up and Postgres is hung on trying to teardown the connection.  Again, network related issue.

I’ve actually ran into this issue before; where I was unable to terminate an idle session from an application node that had an open transaction.  The TCP/IP send queue was backlogged thus it would not terminate; one might consider this a bug or not.  The application server was not reachable due to firewall dropping the connection and not sending a reset packet on further attempts to communicate with the application server; I had to get a network admin to drop the connection as bouncing Postgres was not an option on a production system and kill -9 is a bad idea too.

Assuming this is going to happen again — I would advise you to get from both nodes the state of connection and tcp/ip queue information from netstat.   If you can also to a tcpdump on the connection to see what each of the nodes is doing that would give you more insight.

I would also advise looking into TCP/IP keep alive.