Re: PG-8.2 backup strategies

От Henrik
Тема Re: PG-8.2 backup strategies
Дата
Список pgsql-general
21 jan 2008 kl. 16.18 skrev Magnus Hagander:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 04:05:13PM +0100, Henrik wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I know backup of pg is a well discussed topic and ranges in solution
>> from simple pg_dump to more advanced PITR with Slony.
>>
>> Even though I've studied most of them I can't really decide the best
>> solution for a new situation and would be grateful for any inputs on
>> this.
>>
>> The situation is as follow.
>>
>> We want to do a daily backups from many installations to a remote
>> location and also want easy restores when disaster strikes.
>> Preferable
>> the backup site would only need an ftp server to store the files on.
>>
>> My optimal solution would be differential pg_dumps but that is not
>> possible as far as I know. Doing pg_dumps every day is a little to
>> heavy even though the db's are not huge. I like the fact that I have
>> one big SQL file which is really simple to restore with.
>
> Heavy where? If it's just heavy on the transfer, it might be
> possible to
> do the dump locally and then rsync the file off to the server.
> (dumping
> without compression is likely to make rsync a lot more efficient
> here, but
> I don't have any numbers to back up that guess)
True, I tried again on a test installation with a 26G database and
noticed that pg_dump didn't take the fraction of the time it took
before (only about 4 minuntes). Maybe I had some weird parameters
before. That is why I didn't want to do pg_dump but now this is a
feasible solution. Also doing the rsync should make the network impact
minimal. Is the something I should think about when running pg_dump to
make it faster?

Thanks!

От: "Malm Paul"
Сообщение: Newbee to databases (ODBC)
От: Erik Jones
Сообщение: Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR