Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/12/2017 03:35 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> So far that's all "that'd be nice, but isn't a technical barrier" stuff.
>
> Package variables for example. When _do_ you _need_ them? For what? (I'm
> aware of some uses but "when you need them" helps us not at all).

Well my answer would be, "because we want Oracle people to have an easy
time migrating". I know that isn't the -hackers answer but clearly there
is a demand for them. I would note that EDB Advanced server supports
them, exactly because there is a demand for them.

Again, I am not making the technical argument here. I don't have the
time to research it. I am making a usability argument for a potentially
huge portion of database users to allow PostgreSQL to be more attractive
to them, argument.

I also received this today:

"""
Well, packages make programming much easier. Not only do you keep
related procedures together, you can also have private package variables
and the package initialization. Also, packages are units of security, so
you can grant permissions on the package to the entire group of users
and if you later modify the package and add a function, you don't need
to grant it separately.
"""

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.