Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u

От Pavel Raiskup
Тема Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u
Дата
Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks Peter,

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:17:05 AM CEST Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 4/24/18 07:13, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> > .. the status quo seems to be bit optimistic with the "distant future",
> > and we should start thinking about dropping plpython2 support, same as
> > upstream (a bit optimistically too, IMO) does [1].
>
> I don't think we are going to drop Python 2 support anytime soon.

Well, no hurry, just saying that we should start thinking about it.
Mostly to have proper plan in advance because production support of
plpython2 will be at least risky once Python 2 is EOL...

Linux distributions are spending a lot of efforts to make Python 3 the
default; and the plan is to drop Python 2 support entirely if possible.

So full drop is not what ask for now (it will be needed for lts/enterprise
distros for quite some time anyway), I just think that plpython3 should be
the default (by build system, by 'plpythonu'=>'plpython3u', etc.).  And
maybe we could plan "deprecating" the plpython2 first in future major
releases (not really 11 or 12, I have nothing concrete in mind now).

> > What's the expected future migration path from plpython2 to plpython3 in
> > such cases?  I'm thinking about rewrite of the docs and creating some
> > scripting which could simplify the migration steps.  Would such patches be
> > welcome at this point?
>
> I'm not sure what you have in mind.  In many cases, you can just change
> the LANGUAGE clause.  I suppose you could run 2to3 over the function
> body?  Write a PL/Python function to run 2to3?

Something along those lines, yes.  Well, I don't have a real plan.  I'd
like to discuss what's the expected way out, how to give a chance to users
to migrate from plpython2 to plpython3 _now_ (since both are yet
available).

I _guess_ the users don't care much about 2 vs. 3 in plpython - so they
usually simply live with implicit plpython version - which would OTOH mean
that the majority will have to face the migration sooner or later.

Pavel