Re: Multiple Database clusters on 1 server: good practice or not advisable?

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: Multiple Database clusters on 1 server: good practice or not advisable?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Paul,

Others may have better advice, but my $0.02 worth ...

It is certainly possible to run several instances of postgres on one server (at least on *NIX, don't know about
Windoze).This is about postgres 7.4 and 8.1.

We have some servers that have a several different postmasters running; the hope being that if one gets clobbered the
otherswon't be directly effected. You have to make sure you have a lot of RAM so both can have enough for the IPCS
processesand leave enough for the OS to have a healthy cache. If you run short on memory you get start to see disk
thrashingand such issues. Each postmaster has its own pools of memory for connections, etc. and you can configure them
differentlyif you need to. They'll be writing to different logs which can make solving problems easier.

We also have some servers with only one postmaster running, but it has several databases within it. If one issue takes
downthe postmaster then both databases go down, obviously. All of the databases share in the number of connections
allowed,and will write to the same log file (I think -- if I am wrong, someone, please correct me!).

In general anything bad enough to really hammer one database/instance will have a deleterious effect on other users on
theserver, no matter how you configure it. But we've had no problems in back-office stuff running multiple instances on
onebox (2-3, but occasionally more); some of these get heavy, albeit periodic use. We also have some runtime
applicationswith two different postmasters on one box and have had no problems, but they tend to be lightweight in
termsof volume and total # of connections, etc. Out heavy runtime servers we tend to have databases sharing the same
instance.

YMMV, HTH, etc., yadda yadda

Greg Williamson
DBA