Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I would be very cautious about ever using RAID5, despite manufacturers' claims to the contrary. The link below is
authoredby a very knowledgable fellow whose posts I know (and trust) from Informix land.

<http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt>

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

-----Original Message-----
From:    pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Anjan Dave
Sent:    Mon 8/15/2005 1:35 PM
To:    pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject:    [PERFORM] choosing RAID level for xlogs
Hi,

One simple question. For 125 or more checkpoint segments
(checkpoint_timeout is 600 seconds, shared_buffers are at 21760 or
170MB) on a very busy database, what is more suitable, a separate 6 disk
RAID5 volume, or a RAID10 volume? Databases will be on separate
spindles. Disks are 36GB 15KRPM, 2Gb Fiber Channel. Performance is
paramount, but I don't want to use RAID0.

PG7.4.7 on RHAS 4.0

I can provide more info if needed.

Appreciate some recommendations!

Thanks,

Anjan

---
This email message and any included attachments constitute confidential
and privileged information intended exclusively for the listed
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
Vantage by immediately telephoning 215-579-8390, extension 1158. In
addition, please reply to this message confirming your receipt of the
same in error. A copy of your email reply can also be sent to
support@vantage.com. Please do not disclose, copy, distribute or take
any action in reliance on the contents of this information. Kindly
destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Any other use of
this email is prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation. For more
information about Vantage, please visit our website at
http://www.vantage.com <http://www.vantage.com/> .
---

!DSPAM:4300fd35105094125621296!