Re: indexed column not working as fast as expected

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: indexed column not working as fast as expected
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Amir,

The index lacks much specificity so it probably won't help very much at all. ideally an indexed column has to have a
widerange of values to be usefull.

1000000 rows with one value --> all rows are in the same "bucket"
1000000 rows with 2 values --> if evenly split, 500000 in each division; if not you might have 10 in one and 9999990 in
theother. Hence, an index on a boolean column would be of little use ...

I would suspect that in your case a query against the value with only 5 values might be fast as the planner would use
theindex. If the planner sees that it needs 5000000 rows of data its not going to use the index since that would
greatlyincrease the amount of work needed (e.g. get the index value, get the real data instead of simply getting data
insequentail reads and discarding the non-interesting data).

HTH clarify things, altho not much help in speeding your queries ...

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC