indexed column not working as fast as expected

От Amir Zicherman
Тема indexed column not working as fast as expected
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi,

i have a btree index on col1 in table1.  The column has either values
1,2,3, or 4.  4 does not appear that much in the table (only 5 times).
there are about 20 million rows in the table.  when i do a "select *
from table1 where col1=4" it takes very long time to get back to me
(around 4 minutes).  why is it taking so long if i have an index on
it?  I also tried this with a hash index and it was still slow.

thanx, amir