Re: Raw devices vs. Filesystems

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: Raw devices vs. Filesystems
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
No point to beating a dead horse (other than the sheer joy of the thing) since postgres does not have raw device
support,but ...

raw devices, at least on solaris, are about 10 times as fast as cooked file systems for Informix. This might still be a
gainfor postgres' performance, but the portability issues remain.

raw device use in Informix is safer in terms of data because Informix does not ever have to use the regular file system
andso issues of buffering and so on go away. My understanding -- fortunately not ever tried in the real world -- is
thatpostgres' WAL log system is as reliable as Informix writing to raw devices.

raw devices can't be copied or tampered with with regular file tools (mv, cp etc.); this changes how backups get done
butalso adds a layer of insulation between valuable data and users.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC
-----Original Message-----
From:    Christopher Browne [mailto:cbbrowne@acm.org]
Sent:    Mon 3/29/2004 10:28 AM
To:    pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] Raw devices vs. Filesystems
After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, el_vigia_ec@hotmail.com ("Jaime Casanova") belched out:
> Can you tell me (or at least guide me to a palce where i can find the
> answer) what are the benefits of filesystems over raw devices?

For PostgreSQL, filesystems have the merit that you can actually use
them.  PostgreSQL doesn't support use of "raw devices."

Two major benefits of using filesystems as opposed to raw devices are
that:

a) The use of raw devices is dramatically non-portable; you have to
   reimplement data access on every platform you are trying to
   support;

b) The use of raw devices essentially mandates that you implement
   some form of generic filesystem on top of them, which adds
   considerable complexity to your code.

Two benefits to raw devices are claimed...

c) It's faster.  But that assumes that the "cooked" filesystems are
   implemented fairly badly.  That was typically true, a dozen
   years ago, but it isn't so typical now, particularly with a
   fancy cacheing controller.

d) It guarantees application control of update ordering.  Of course,
   with a cacheing controller, or disk drives that lie to one degree
   or another, those guarantees might be gone anyways.

There are other filesystem advantages, such as

e) Shifting "cooked" data around may be as simple as a "mv," whereas
   reorganizing on raw disk requires DB-specific tools...

> And what filesystem is the best for postgresql performance?

That would depend, assortedly, on what OS you are using, what kind of
hardware you are running on, what kind of usage patterns you have, as
well as on how you define the notion of "best."

Absent of any indication of any of those things, the best that can be
said is "that depends..."
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Сообщение: Re: Frequent 'deadlock detected' in 7.4 ... or just my bad
Сообщение: Re: Frequent 'deadlock detected' in 7.4 ... or just my bad