Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Informix fees vary but figure about $33,000 per CPU for a web environment (other licenses are cheaper, for instance, a
serverwith only a handful of connections). On the plus side for Informix, the Oracle stuff we had consists of dozens of
tapesand CDs ... Informix was rarely more a CD and much easier to get going.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

-----Original Message-----
From:    Tony and Bryn Reina [mailto:reina_ga@hotmail.com]
Sent:    Fri 4/2/2004 6:28 AM
To:    Bradley Kieser
Cc:    pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
> Oracle's main drawbacks are:
>   a) VERY resource-intensive with a high process startup overhead.
>   b) VERY expensive. You are talking license fees into the £100 000s for
> big iron installations.

Wow! 100,000 pounds for software. Now that is expensive! Is that a ballpark
price for most of the commercial DB stuff out there? It would be interesting
to see just how expensive (cost of licensing-wise) commercial DBs really are
from a side-by-side matchup.

-Tony

Сообщение: Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
Сообщение: Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?