Re: Unicode problem ???

От Stijn Vanroye
Тема Re: Unicode problem ???
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Hi Stijn,
Hy Alexander,

> I tried adding "set client_encoding to 'LATIN1'" to the
> Connect Settings of
> psqlODBC. It didn't help. I still get the same weird
> characters when I look
> at the data using SQL explorer.
Damn (pardon me). I realy hoped that would do the trick.

> Could this be due to the fact that the database was CREATED
> using SQL_ASCII
> encoding? Maybe your solution only works when the database
> was created using
> LATIN1 or UNICODE encoding.
Could be, as I said I use Unicode. According to the email from Peter Eisentraut on the same topic:
SQL_ASCII is only totally supported for, well, ASCII characters.
//End Quote
Sounds to me that SQL_ASCII is more limited then UNICODE.

> The strange thing is that everything is FINE when I use
> phpPgAdmin to look
> at the data, so there must be a conversion problem somewhere
> in the ODBC
> layer...
Guess so to. I think that's a question for the developpers.
In any case there's a difference between what the ODBC does and wath phpPgAdmin does.
I've always used pgAdmin (currently III). No problems there eigther.

> Maybe I'll just try recreating the database using UNICODE or
> LATIN1 encoding
> tomorrow. UNICODE seems the best, right? Or does LATIN1 have more
> possibilities than UNICODE?
Of what I hear, UNICODE indeed seems the best option. But then again, that encoding stuff is still a bit of a mistery
tome.
What I personally don't understand is: if all my databases are UNICODE, why do I have to set the Client encoding to
latin1to get a correct result?

> Groeten vanuit Veenendaal,
>
> Alexander.

Stijn.

От: Andrew Sullivan
Сообщение: Re: plan-reading extensive tutorial?
От: "John Sidney-Woollett"
Сообщение: Re: Unicode problem ???