Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
RE: Big 7.1 open items  ("Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
Re: Big 7.1 open items  (JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck))
Список pgsql-hackers
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     There are also disadvantages.

>         You can run out of space even if there  are  plenty  GB's
>         free  on  your  disks.   You  have  to create tablespaces
>         explicitly.

Not to mention the reverse: if I read this right, you have to suck
up your GB's long in advance of actually needing them.  That's OK
for a machine that's dedicated to Oracle ... not so OK for smaller
installations, playpens, etc.

I'm not convinced that there's anything fundamentally wrong with
doing storage allocation in Unix files the way we have been.

(At least not when we're sitting atop a well-done filesystem,
which may leave the Linux folk out in the cold ;-).)