Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 9/29/20 3:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> But I think it's a net benefit for HTML output as well, in that the
>> output does adapt much better than before to smaller window sizes.
>> Not everybody wants to dedicate their whole screen to Postgres docs.

> I'll also note it helps on mobile viewing as well. We (likely the royal
> "we" in this case) still need to figure out some things with the font
> size on mobile to make it a bit easier to read, but the measurable
> readability of the tables in the v13 docs is better than v12 on smaller
> browsing windows.

See also Pavel's upthread complaint that the regular and monospace fonts
look too much alike.  Personally I'm okay with the existing choices ---
they look enough different to me, on my browser.  But I'll agree that it's
on the edge of being a problem.  It might be worth taking another look at
that whenever someone does font fiddling.

> I would say on this particular page, the only thing I find slightly
> confusing is when the "->" operator is being described ("json -> integer
> -> json"), but I think that may just be an unfortunate happenstance and
> not grounds for redesign, at least at this time.

Yeah ... again, that's somewhat down to the font choices, IMO.  The
rightarrow symbol is visibly different from ASCII "->", but not by
all that much.  I'd prefer a bigger/thicker arrow for that, but
as far as I recall we couldn't find a portable way to render one.