Re: psql SET/RESET/SHOW tab completion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql SET/RESET/SHOW tab completion
Дата
Re: psql SET/RESET/SHOW tab completion  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
Re: psql SET/RESET/SHOW tab completion  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Re: psql SET/RESET/SHOW tab completion  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I am wondering if is worth managing which items should be displayed or
> not, and if we should just give up and display them all.  The GUC system
> is just too dynamic.

Not sure.  I count 98 GUC variables currently listed in tab-complete.c,
and 162 rows in pg_settings.  So listing them all would be a pretty
sizable increase (65%) in what's already an unwieldy list.  I would
prefer to see some thought given to removing useless entries ... eg,
I doubt anyone needs tab completion for "trace_notify" or "wal_debug".

However, if you favor a "no thought required" approach, listing 'em
all is certainly the path of least resistance.  I'm just dubious that
that maximizes the usefulness of tab completion.