Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/19/2017 09:32 AM, 'Bruce Momjian' wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 12:30:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> It was purely a documentation change, but it was a documented change in a
>>> long-standing and popular practice of not using too many shared buffers
>>> on Windows, so I thought it wise to add it.
>>
>> Well, if the intent of the note was to encourage people to raise
>> shared_buffers, it didn't do a very good job of that as written,
>> because I sure didn't understand it that way.
>
> Do you have any suggestions since it is not a code change that I can
> point to?  My guess is that the limitation was removed years ago, but we
> only found out recently.

My guess is that the limitation was removed as of 9.3 with the work Haas
did with shared buffers. Thus, yes it was years ago. I think that
listing it regardless of the documentation change could be useful.
Something like:

"""
Better support for large shared_buffers configurations including the
Windows platform. Users are encouraged to review their shared_buffer
settings against the size of their active data set and reconfigure
appropriately.
"""

It is pretty much practitioner given that if your active data set can
fit in shared_buffers and you aren't going to adversely affect the
ability for the system to operate, that you should configure a high
setting. I have seen settings as much as 96GB doing wonderfully in
production.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****