Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2022-06-23 Th 21:51, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

>> By how much does the size of ExprEvalStep go down once you don't
>> inline the JSON structures as of 0004 in [1]?  And what of 0003?
> 0004 gets us back to 64 bytes, if 0003 is applied first. 0003 alone doesn't
> yield a size reduction, because obviously 0004 is the bigger problem. Applying
> just 0004 you end up with 88 bytes.
>

>> The JSON portions seem like the largest portion of the cake, though both are
>> must-fixes.
> Yep.
>

>>> Yes, but I don't guarantee to have a fix in time for Beta2.
>> IMHO, it would be nice to get something done for beta2.  Now the
>> thread is rather fresh and I guess that more performance study is
>> required even for 0004, so..
> I don't think there's a whole lot of performance study needed for 0004 - the
> current state is obviously wrong.
>
> I think Andrew's beta 2 comment was more about my other architectural
> complains around the json expression eval stuff.

Right. That's being worked on but it's not going to be a mechanical fix.

>> Waiting for beta3 would a better move at this stage.  Is somebody confident
>> enough in the patches proposed?
> 0001 is the one that needs to most careful analysis, I think. 0002 I'd be fine
> with pushing after reviewing it again. For 0003 David's approach might be
> better or worse, it doesn't matter much I think. 0004 is ok I think, perhaps
> with the exception of quibbling over some naming decisions?

The attached very small patch applies on top of your 0002 and deals with
the FmgrInfo complaint.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

От: Matthias van de Meent
Сообщение: Re: Pre-installed index access methods cannot be manually installed.
Сообщение: Re: Pre-installed index access methods cannot be manually installed.