Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc

От Bret Stern
Тема Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc
Дата
Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc  (Gavan Schneider <list.pg.gavan@pendari.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On 8/14/2021 2:13 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 8/14/21 2:04 PM, Bret Stern wrote:
>> Yep,
>>
>> I provide the UI for the user to select the vendor supplied unit
>> value from the list.
>
> I should have been more specific, does the vendor do all the
> conversions and supply them to you?

Vendors supply dimensions, depending on where in the world the product
comes from, could be metric, imperial

or fraction

>> I don't want anyone entering (manually) any value, they must select
>> from my list (fed from a PG table).
>>
>> (and since some units don't translate exactly, they pick the one that
>> is closest).
>
> Yes, nominal dimensions. That is what I'm trying to work out, is this
> something that makes sense to the vendor and should not be tampered with?

The vendor is out of the picture at this point. They provide a catalog,
and we enter (or import) items into our POS system. We match their
dimension within tolerance.

>> It's Tile (floor, shower etc), not the tightest tolerance of
>> dimensions, so it's not catastrophic if it's off
>
> Is it only tile you are working with?

No. Slabs eg granite, slate, dolemite, marble..cut from larger blocks
and delivered in blocks of ten slabs normally, where tolerances are
also  +/- .032

I will say this business has been behind in the attributes game. Plus
there are many "artsy" vendors

who can hardly speak in these terms, and don't publish to us, so we do
the best we can.

Getting vendors to supply the basic values is a struggle.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc