Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/14/21 2:47 PM, Bret Stern wrote:

> On 8/14/2021 2:13 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 8/14/21 2:04 PM, Bret Stern wrote:

> Vendors supply dimensions, depending on where in the world the product
> comes from, could be metric, imperial
>
> or fraction
>
>> Yes, nominal dimensions. That is what I'm trying to work out, is this
>> something that makes sense to the vendor and should not be tampered with?
>>
> The vendor is out of the picture at this point. They provide a catalog,
> and we enter (or import) items into our POS system. We match their
> dimension within tolerance.

It would seem then a entry system that specifies the initial input
unit(metric, imperial) and then does the conversion to a set unit(my
preference would be metric) for storage to the table in that unit. Then
you would convert on the fly to fill out the display field. Or you could
use something like generated
columns(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/ddl-generated-columns.html)
available in Postgres 12+ to pre-fill  columns to save the overhead on
subsequent queries. For pre-12 maybe a trigger on the table column to
fill in the other columns. In any case you sort(order by) by your
canonical column which would be of numeric type.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc
Сообщение: Re: Sort question - Fractions, Metric etc