Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Дата
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/10/beta/10beta1.md;h=f0d2e6ad2637281194ce212f9b7553eff1301c58;hb=HEAD

>> Please comment with improvements/suggestions/corrections, or submit them
>> to the git repo if you have access.
>
> The capitalization in this text is really weird.  Most capitalized words
> should not be.

As this is a Beta announcement, the capitalization makes sense as a
whole. I am not sure it would make sense as much in the release notes.
There are a couple of things:

* target_session_attrs parameter, so a client can request a read/write host

Most people won't know what that means. I can conclude that it means
that we can now connect to PostgreSQL and say, "please give me a read
only or a read/write host" but I am sure I am not 100% correct. I know
more about PostgreSQL than most who will care about this announcement.

* WAL support for Hash Indexes

Crash safe Hash Indexes or ACID compliant Hash Indexes.

WAL is irrelevant in terms of the announcement.

New "monitoring" roles for permission grants

Is roles supposed to be plural?

Full Text Search support for JSON and JSONB
XMLTABLE query expression
Push Down Aggregates to Foreign Servers
WAL support for Hash Indexes

The order above is going to likely be of more interest to our readers. I
am not suggesting we remove the other items in the list but give
precedence to those that most people will get the most bang for the buck
out of.

Push Down Aggregates to Foreign Servers

What does this mean? (I know what it means), the majority of our readers
will not.

Version 10 will have an unusually high number of backwards-incompatible
changes. It is critical that all users test it against their
applications and platforms as soon as possible.

I don't think we need to say anything more than:

Version 10 has a high number of backwards-incompatible changes. For a
list of these changes please see the [Release Notes](link to release notes).

Thanks,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement