Re: Can i write a time-trigger?

От Shruthi A
Тема Re: Can i write a time-trigger?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks,

This pgagent seems to be a good interactive tool.  I tried using it, but i ran into some problems and extensive search didnt yield enough help or documentation on this.  This is a brief list of my doubts.

-- I connected to the 'postgres' database in my pgAdmin and ran the pgagent.sql file.  It claimed to have created a schema called 'pgagent' and a lot of tables inside it. When i try to run the sql file again, it tells me the elements already exist.  But i couldn't see either the schema or these tables anywhere.  Where did they go?

-- While running the pgagent daemon, what dbname should i specify? Is it postgres or pgadmin (as the example in   http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/8.3/tools/pgadmin/1.8.2/pgagent-install.html )  ?

-- I created a stored proc in another database and want to schedule a call to this proc.  Am i allowed to do this? Since postgres doesnt allow cross-database references.  But i didnt find any error msg indicating this.

-- I managed to create a 'Job' in pgAdmin with the Definition specifying a call to my stored proc (without referencing the database).   But the 'schedule' here doesnt seem to accept any start date other than "1st jan 1970"!  And it selects some random start time which i again have no control on. Why is this?  The calender is brought up when we click on a very narrow strip inside the 'date' field, where apparently the arrow-mark should have been.  And the OK button in the Schedule dialog always seems to be greyed out but strangely responds to the 'Enter' key!

-- Ok, i really dont mind the start date, and i managed to schedule it daily as i wanted.  But why does it require me to click on 'Run now' even after the daemon is running and i've added a properly scheduled job?

-- Is there no command line interface for pgagent?  That would be nice since the GUI doesnt seem to be stable and doesnt throw useful error messages when there is a problem.

Anyways i achieved my objective in a very easy way using crontab.  So i'm really not going back to pgagent.   But just for curiosity, it'll be nice to know how to make pgagent work for me..

Thanks
Shruthi