Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?

От Andreas Karlsson
Тема Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/13/20 7:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> As discussed in the thread at [1], I've been working on redesigning
> the tables we use to present SQL functions and operators.  The
> first installment of that is now up; see tables 9.30 and 9.31 at
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-datetime.html
>
> and table 9.33 at
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-enum.html
>
> Before I spend more time on this, I want to make sure that people
> are happy with this line of attack.  Comparing these tables to
> the way they look in v12, they clearly take more vertical space;
> but at least to my eye they're less cluttered and more readable.
> They definitely scale a lot better for cases where a long function
> description is needed, or where we'd like to have more than one
> example.  Does anyone prefer the old way, or have a better idea?
>
> I know that the table headings are a bit weirdly laid out; hopefully
> that can be resolved [2].

I prefer the old way since I find it very hard to see which fields
belong to which function in the new way. I think what confuses my eyes
is how some rows are split in half while others are not, especially for
those functions where there is only one example output. I do not have
any issue reading those with many example outputs.

For the old tables I can at least just make the browser window
ridiculously wide ro read them.

Andreas