Re: AutoCommit and DDL

От Don Drake
Тема Re: AutoCommit and DDL
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I don't think it would be easy to duplicate since our code base is
quite extensive.

Basically, what was happening was a script would first open a database
connection (AutoCommit turned off by default), create a few objects
(that also opened independent db connections), the objects would run
queries so they have data populated, an insert is done and committed,
then we call a generic function that will create a new table (using
inherits, part of our partitioning) as well as adding indexes and
constraints to this new table.  It would get to a point in the
function where it was adding a FK constraint and every query against
the table would "hang" which appeared to be some exclusive lock not
being released.  Activity on the DB would be 100% idle during this
period, the alter table never came back so we killed it each time.  I
commented out the code doing the FK constraint add and everything
worked just fine.

As a test I moved the partition function call to the beginning of the
script (before the objects  were created) and it worked just fine.  I
then changed the object declarations passing in the single DB handle,
and every now works just fine.

I ran DBI traces and everything looked just fine.  This was a strange
problem, I'm just happy everything is working.

-Don

--
Donald Drake
President