Re: Failed Login Attempts in PostgreSQL

От Wolff, Ken L
Тема Re: Failed Login Attempts in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general

You can use fail2ban for example. See for example this thread here https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/61463e206b7c4c0ca17b03a59e890b78%40lmco.com,

and the config on https://github.com/rc9000/postgres-fail2ban-lockout.

(probably needs some small adaptations, but as a base it should work).

--

Magnus Hagander

Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Having  been down this road myself, these are the options I eventually identified.  Each obviously has its benefits and drawbacks:

  • Change the Postgres source code and deploy a new version.  Believe there are examples of how to do this in Git.
  • Disable/disallow local accounts and rely on LDAP.  Be aware passwords would be passed in clear text across the network unless your DCs require SSL.
  • Disable/disallow local accounts and rely on PKI certificates.  I don’t know that this would necessarily limit failed login attempts but is definitely much more secure.
  • Procure a vendor-supported version of PostgreSQL which offers this functionality.
  • Fail2ban, as Magnus observed.
  • Leverage something like Splunk monitoring to identify failed logins and then reach back into the database to lock accounts when appropriate.

Hope this is of some help.

Ken