Re: [ADMIN] what's the efficient/safest way to convert database character set ?

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: [ADMIN] what's the efficient/safest way to convert database character set ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 17, 2013, at 3:13 PM, "Huang, Suya" <Suya.Huang@au.experian.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve got a question of converting database from ascii to UTF-8, what’s the best approach to do so if the database
sizeis very large? Detailed procedure or experience sharing are much appreciated!

The answer to that depends on what you mean by "ascii".

If your current database uses SQL_ASCII encoding - that's not ascii. It could have anything in there, including any mix
ofencodings and there's been no enforcement of any encoding, so there's no way of knowing what they are. If you've had,
forexample, webapps that let people paste word documents into them, you potentially have different encodings used in
differentrows of the same table.

If your current data is like that then you're probably looking at doing some (manual) data cleanup to work out what
encodingyour data is really in, and converting it to something consistent rather than a simple migration from ascii to
utf8.

Cheers,
  Steve

От: Ian Lawrence Barwick
Сообщение: Re: Index creation fails with automatic names
От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] what's the efficient/safest way to convert database character set ?