Re: Inserts optimization?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Inserts optimization?
Дата
Re: Inserts optimization?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-performance
> > Bacula already serializes access to the database (they have
> to support
> > mysql/myisam), so this shouldn't help.
>
> Ouch, that hurts.
>
> To support mysql, they break performance for _every other_
> database system?

Actually, it probably helps on SQLite as well. And considering they only
support postgresql, mysql and sqlite, there is some merit to it from
their perspective.

You can find a thread about it in the bacula archives from a month or
two back.

> <cynism>
> Now, I understand how the mysql people manage to spread the
> legend of mysql being fast. They convince software developers
> to thwart all others.
> </>

Yes, same as the fact that most (at least FOSS) web project-du-jour are
"dumbed down" to the mysql featureset. (And not just mysql, but
mysql-lowest-common-factors, which means myisam etc)

> > Actually, it might well hurt by introducing extra delays.
>
> Well, if you read the documentation, you will see that it
> will only wait if there are at least commit_siblings other
> transactions active. So when Bacula serializes access, there
> will be no delays, as there is only a single transaction alive.

Hm. Right. Well, it still won't help :-)

//Magnus