Re: support for using runas for pg

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: support for using runas for pg
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your response,
>
> Ur Q: Does it work when you use runas?
> YES, it works when i use runas to run postgres in Win 2000 & XP.

Ok.

> Below i am mentioning my requirements and the bug received
> more clearly
>
> 1.    I am trying to use postgres in three versions of
> Windows operating system (Windows 2000,XP & NT)
> 2.    I am able to run postgres in Win 2000 & XP using runas.
> The problem which i faced while using runas is the prompting
> for password. That problem also solved after using the utility runasv.

Okay, that's good.

> 3.    Now my problem is in Windows NT.

Beware that NT4 is not supported anymore, and that PostgreSQL on NT4 is
in some kind of not-really-supported-but-works-most-of-the-time state.

> 4.    In NT we cannot use runas. So i serach for utility that
> supports NT also and i got runasv
> http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-P/system/article.php/c5755.

<snip>

> 8.    I am able to start and stop database after logging as
> user postgres in NT.

Then your problem is that the tool above that you are using is breaking
something, and that is where your error-tracking should be directed. Not
much we can help you with from here.

> I was using postgres 7.3 version in my intranet web
> application for the past two years using cygwin. It is
> working fine in NT,2000 & XP. Now i want to upgrade my
> database the new feature of pg8.1.1 that removes the use of cygwin.

I beleive you can build 8.1.1 on cygwin as well. I haven't done it
myself, and I wouldn't put a production db on cygwin, but I know others
have done so with 8.0 at least. If you absolutely need to run it on NT4
(which in general is a bad idea, regardless of what version of pg you
chose), you might want to investigate that.

//Magnus