Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Some people raised privacy issues, so we try to give an
> indication of
> > the email address without giving out too much more. We also do not
> > store any other information from the email.
> >
> > I think the concern was combining location information with other
> > information. So, we are unable to add names with the entries :-(
>
> If they posted to a public list, I don't see any privacy
> issues with showing their name.  We could allow some to
> opt-out, but we don't even offer that feature with our email
> archives, so I don't even see the point of that.  Finding the
> location of the IP address is also public, so I don't see the
> issue here.

It is an issue with the law in several countries. The two sets of
information may be public, but the combined info is still sensitive.
It's law, it doesn't have to make sense :-) I'm not sure if it applies
exactly in this case, but it could very well do, and it's just
unnecessary to risk stepping on it.

It's a different thing if we have people who want to be listed by name
register on a webpage. Then they volounteer the combined information,
and it's perfectly ok to use it that way (especially since we'd say
that's why).

//Magnus

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)