Re: Presskits for 8.1 Release

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Presskits for 8.1 Release
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> Web gurus:
>
> OK, the following presskits need to go up at
> www.postgresql.org/about to be
> ready for the release.   All press kits are in CVS for the
> Press project,
> with the directory structure pr/releases/8.1/XX/presskit81.html.XX
> ... where XX is the language code.  They all need to end up
> at about/press/presskit81.html.XX

In general, firefox doesn't like <a name="foo"/>, for some reason - it
doesn't consider it closed. Needs to be <a name="foo"></a>. Without
doing this, all paragraphs will be underlined when the mouse hovers over
them...

Unfortunatly, this seems to go for all languages - as they are copied...

I also notice there is no header on the page - there was one for 8.0.
Was that really intentinoal?
(8.0 had <h1>PostgreSQL 8.0 Press Kit</h1>, 8.1 has only subheaders)

> AR: Arabic

Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ar&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> BR: Brazilian

Bad encoding - not valid UTF8. Can't validate.

> DE: German

Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.de&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> EL: Hebrew

Same as german, appears to be at least partly the very same errors. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.el&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

In the english list, this one is ilnked from "Greek", that seems wrong.

> EN: English

Under "Corporate support" there is a "</h3>" at the end of the
paragraph, but no opening <h3>. Thus, not valid HTML.

> FR: French

There is no 8.1 file in cvs that I can find.

> JA: Japanese

Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it could be an encoding issue. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ja&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> RO: Romanian

Not completed, has things like <link here> still in it in at least four
places.

> RU: Russian

Not valid XHTML, and also has <link> stuff still in there. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ru&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> Additional, the following two are done but the version in CVS
> are broken.
> They should be getting corrected in the next couple of days:
>
> ES: Spanish
> FI: Finnish
>
> Please let me know if any of the encodings are messed up so
> that I can bug the translators.  It seems like some are UTF-8
> and some are ASCII but I can't tell for sure, encodings baffle me.

Me too ;) But I can tell which are wrong by feeding them through the
XHTML validator at w3.org.

They can be converted with "iconv" if you know the source encoding,
though. But you need to know the source...

> You'll notice that this is less languages than last year.
> This is because the release is actually going out on time,
> and the translators aren't used to meeting deadlines with no
> slippage.  ;-/

There is a list at the bottom of the page that refers to a whole lot of
languages that don't exist... Such as Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish,
Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish (may be more, didn't check carefully).

> Additionally, the new Regional Contacts page is available here:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/13/contact.html
> ... and can go up any time.

Not valid XHTML, see
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//magnus-master.pgadm
in.org/about/press/contact.html

The "USA & General" <a> anchor needs to go inside the <dt>.
& needs to be &

> Finally, the new version of the Press FAQ is also under CVS
> and at pgFoundry and needs to go up at the same time the PressKits do:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_faq.html
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/faq/

Seems to be perfect XHTML :-)

//Magnus