От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: admins@postgresql.org mailing list?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> Guys,
>
> I know, I know, the last thing we need is another mailing
> list.  HOWEVER, we have had a request from a couple of
> current web hosts (Sean and one other) and alternates for
> various postgresql.org sites that we establish a closed
> mailing list exclusively for those who own boxes that host
> postgresql.org stuff, or who have admin rights on them.

Why make it closed? There may be lots of other people interested in that
kind of information. Maybe closed-post, but consider at least letting
others read it.

> The reason this has been requested is that these host donors
> don't want to subscribe to pgsql-www, because they don't care
> about web development.
> Further, the subscription address list would be automatically
> echoed to a non-postgresql.org mailserver somewhere, so that
> it can be used to coordinate in the event of a general
> network failure like last week's.

If you can solve the replication of subscription lists, why not do it
for *all* the mailinglists? They are, after all, one of the most
important things in the community today.

(And does this have to be hard? If it's in postgresql, set up some nifty
slony replication. If it's just in flat files, can't they just be
rsynced over? IMO you wouldn't need to duplicate the subscription
interface, just the ability to post and receive from the lists. It
certainly could be done - I did it with some lists many years back by
just scp:ing the files over. But perhaps the requirements have changed
since then, and something more is required?)

> I know this sounds similar to what Devrim proposed a few
> months ago, but this
> would be a bit different.   For one, it would not concern web site
> development *at all*, which would still happen on this list.
> It would instead be devoted exclusively to "Server A is down,
> who can take the list archives?" and "Hub.org is going down
> at 5pm to relocate, switching over to alternate DNS" type
> messages.  Also exchanging passwords and setup info,
> necessitating a closed, non-archived list.
>
> Does this seem like a good idea?

Exchanging passwords on a mailinglist seems like a very bad idea at all
to me ;-)
Having some way of getting information out when things like this happens
sounds like a very good idea. They don't happen often, but when they do,
getting the information out is important.

//Magnus