Re: Open items

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> IIRC there was discussion about the location of the files
>(Peter I think
>> it was suggesting creating a new directory - I'll happily leave that
>> part up to an eventual committer).
>>
>> Another discussion was about binary files in the tree (not
>being source
>> files - the source is a binary .AI file (AFAIK that's Adobe
>> Illustrator)). The question was raised wether ImageMagick
>could do this
>> conversion - it can't. Doesn't support AI. Also, it would
>introduce yet
>> another build dependency in order to create a single file. I
>don't see
>> much other way than stuffing the icon in there (possibly
>along with the
>> .AI file if you'd need to change it manually). It is, after
>all, just a
>> resource and not code.
>
>These binary files are almost never going to be changed so I see no
>problem with adding them to CVS, and putting whatever source
>we can into
>CVS.  If we can't we just document how we created the binary.  Can you
>export the image to tiff format or something so we can modify it laster
>if we need to, or perhaps gimp format?

The AI format *is* a source, and pretty much any professional
vector-graph-capable program will deal with it. You definitly don't want
to go TIFF, because TIFF is not vector based.

AI is the source, ICO is the derived binary.

As for documentation on how to generate it, I'm not a graphics guy, but
this is what Gavin said:
>I took the ai file, reduced it to the right sizes in photoshop and
>used an icon editor to make it at various resolutions.

If that's not enough, I'm sure he can add something more on how it was
done. (The AI file is available for download from
http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/art/, where I got the ICO)

//Magnus