Re: Hardware performance

От: Magnus Hagander
Тема: Re: Hardware performance
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Hardware performance  ("Balazs Wellisch", )
 Re: Hardware performance  ("Roman Fail", )
  Re: Hardware performance  (Ron Johnson, )
 Re: Hardware performance  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: Hardware performance  (Hannu Krosing, )
   Re: Hardware performance  (Joe Conway, )
    Re: Hardware performance  (Adam Witney, )
     Re: Hardware performance  (Joe Conway, )
      Re: Hardware performance  (Adam Witney, )
       Re: Hardware performance  (Joe Conway, )
       Re: Hardware performance  (Jord Tanner, )
       Re: Hardware performance  (Robert Creager, )
    Re: Hardware performance  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Hardware performance  (Vincent van Leeuwen, )
 Re: Hardware performance  (Jean-Luc Lachance, )
  Re: Hardware performance  (Joe Conway, )
 Re: Hardware performance  (Jean-Luc Lachance, )
 Re: Hardware performance  ("Magnus Hagander", )
  Re: Hardware performance  (Ron Johnson, )
 Re: Hardware performance  ("Magnus Hagander", )

> > >Adam Witney wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you would go with that one, make sure to get the optional BBWC
> > (Battery Backed Write Cache). Without it the controller
> won't enable
> > the write-back cache (which it really shouldn't, since it
> wouldn't be
> > safe without the batteries). WB cache can really speed things on in
> > many db situations - it's sort of like "speed of fsync off,
> security
> > of fsync on". I've seen huge speedups with both postgresql
> and other
> > databases on that.
>
> Don't forget to check the batteries!!!  And if you have an
> HPaq service contract, don't rely on them to do it...

That's what management software is for.. :-) (Yes, it does check the
batteries. They are also reported on reboot, but you don't want to do
that often, of course)

Under the service contract, HP will *replace* the batteries for free,
though - but you have to know when to replace them.

//Magnus