Re: how small to split a table?

От Heiko W.Rupp
Тема Re: how small to split a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> My question is how small to make each inherited piece?  If I do
> modulo 10, then each sub-table will be between 32 and 34 million
> rows today based on current distribution.

You might try this with various sizes.
I did some testing lateley and found out that insert performance -
even if only inserting into one partition through the master
table abould halfed the speed with 4 partitions and made a 50%
increase for 2 partitions.
Please note: this is not representative in any kind!

So while it might be cool in your case to have e.g. one partition per
month, this might slow inserts down too much, so
that a different number of partitions could be better. The same
applies for queries as well (here perhaps in the other
direction).

--
Heiko W.Rupp
heiko.rupp@redhat.com, http://www.dpunkt.de/buch/3-89864-429-4.html