Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII

От Asger Petersen
Тема Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
> > Thinking of it the slow machines all have a clean install
> of pgAdmin
> > and no other postgreSQL related software. The fast machine (my
> > personal) has
> > lots of software using postgres. For instance i have found 6 or 7
> > different versions of libpq.dll on it.
>
> OK - that might be a clue. The last version of pgAdmin
> shipped with libpq.dll built in Visual C++, however, when we
> shipped it with the Windows version of PostgreSQL in the
> pgInstaller package, we used the Mingw build of libpq from
> PostgreSQL (future versions of pgAdmin will also use the
> Mingw version).
>
> If you check the libpq.dll's, you can tell the Mingw ones
> because they will have version numbers stamped on them,
> whereas the old VC++ don't iirc (if they do, they certainly
> shouldn't be 8.x). I'd be interested to know if this is the cause.

Ok, i checked the dlls. I assume that pgAdmin will use the first
libpq.dll found in the path. The situation is:
The database host: win2k, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. pgInstaller rc2,
libpq.dll version 8.0.0.4356. (pgAdmin on this machine is also slow)
Slow client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer downloaded
from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0
Fast client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer downloaded
from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0

Trying to dig deeper into this, I have used psql on the database host
and on the fast client. On the host my query took forever whereas it
finished in 10 secs on the fast client. So to me it seems pgAdmin is not
really the problem here, but now I have no idea where to look next :-(

Regards
Asger