Re: checkpoint occurs very often when vacuum full running

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: checkpoint occurs very often when vacuum full running
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Mariel Cherkassky wrote:
> thank you for the explanation but I still got a few questions about this subject :
> 1.By physical location of the data do you mean the location on disk of the objects?
> I mean i thought that the wal files containing the logical changes , for example
> If I run an update then the wal file will contain the update in some format.
> Can you explain then what exactly it contains and what you meant by physical ?

It does *not* contain the SQL executed - how'd that work with functions like
"random"?

Rather, the information is like "replace the 42 bytes from offset 99 of block 12
in file xy with these bytes: ...".

> 2.So If the vacuum full stopped in some brutal way (kill -9 or the disk run of space)
> does all the new data files that are created deleted or left on the storage as orphan files ?

In an out of space scenario, the files would get removed.

If you kill -9 the backend they will be left behind.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe