Re: subversion vs cvs (Was: Re: linked list rewrite)

От Dustin Sallings
Тема Re: subversion vs cvs (Was: Re: linked list rewrite)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mar 24, 2004, at 13:22, David Garamond wrote:

> From what I read here and there, BitKeeper excels primarily in merging
> (good merging is apparently a very complex and hard problem) and GUI
> stuffs.
There's not a lot of GUI in arch, but star-merge is fairly incredible.  This is how tla (the main arch implementation)
itselfis developed.

Lots of branches in lots of archives by lots of people.

>>     Unfortunately, I have never and will never use Bitkeeper unless
>> someone buys me a license for some reason.  The distributed model
>> seems like the only way to go for the open source development of the
>> future.
>
> Not necessarily. For small to medium projects, a centralized model
> might work better.
I make use of the distributed nature of arch in my personal projects
with no other developers.  Offline work is just a branch in another
archive that gets merged in later.
Arch supports a centralized model as well as anything else, and I've
got a big centralized set of archives, but I don't always have good
connectivity to the master.  This is where the distributed model wins.
A server/network/whatever outage does not have the opportunity to slow
me down.  In the worst case, a long outage causes my branch to drift a
little further from head of line than it normally would.

--
Dustin Sallings

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: rotatelogs integration in pg_ctl
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: PostgreSQL ES3.0 problems?