Re: pg_dump from older version and pg_restore in newer

От Scott Ribe
Тема Re: pg_dump from older version and pg_restore in newer
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Jan 18, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> In principle, ie in the absence of bugs, it should work either way.
> The reason for the standard recommendation to use the newer version's
> pg_dump is the possibility that your old pg_dump contains bugs that have
> been fixed in the newer version.  This is a non-negligible risk when
> you're talking about a pg_dump that's several years old, as 9.1.7 is.
> If you were comparing minor releases of similar date, eg 9.1.14 versus
> 9.4.0, the risk calculation might shift the other way...

Yep. I didn't want to say it out loud in the prior post, but I don't think I have ever actually used the new dump on
theold db. Then again, I'm almost never more than 1 point release behind, so my way of doing things is not generally
applicable;-)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com