Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/16/21 2:28 PM, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
>> On 16. Jan, 2021, at 19:36, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>
>> That "quoting entire messages on reply" is something I see far too often
>> here.  I have been meaning to mention this problem.  Thousands of people
>> are reading postings here, so it pays to take time to trim down what
>> others have to view.
>
> +1.
>
> Also, could it be possible to make messages plain text? I see a lot of varying fancy fonts and I hate that. I even
hateit more when people post messages not properly trimmed or messages that need formatting preserved such as select
output,i.e. table data, explain plans, etc. Proportional fonts (Outlook with its darn Arial) is one of the worst...

That is trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Too many GUI
email interfaces these days that use 'advanced` formatting. I use
Thunderbird and it allows me to convert incoming to plain text on the
fly. Not a perfect system, but it cuts down on a lot of the garish content.

> And then there's people posting screen shots instead of copy/paste... :-(

That is a learning curve thing. Many people don't know that copy and
paste exists for terminals/GUI's/etc. Most people, once they are pointed
in the right direction, will change that habit. That is why I would not
advocate dropping non plain text attachments. Take this as a teaching
moment and explain the reason why text is a benefit.

> What a world. Actually, the old Netiquette from the 1990's had it right. But then, who knows about that anymore.
>
> I think, an automatic conversion of incoming posts to plain text and dropping all non plain text attachments would
helpa lot already.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Paul Förster
Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
От: raf
Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?