Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On February 16, 2023 9:14:05 PM PST, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 9:45 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> On 2023-02-16 15:05:10 +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
>> > The fact that we can't use ICU on Windows, though, weakens this
>> > argument a lot. In my experience, we have a lot of Windows users, and
>> > they're not any happier with the operating system collations than
>> > Linux users. Possibly less so.
>>
>> Why can't you use ICU on windows? It works today, afaict?
>
>Uh, I had the contrary impression from the discussion upthread, but it
>sounds like I might be misunderstanding the situation?

That was about the build environment in CI / cfbot, I think. Jeff was making icu a hard requirement by default, but ICU
wasn'tinstalled in a usable way, so the build failed. The patch he referred to was just building ICU during the CI run.

I do remember encountering issues with the mkvcbuild.pl build not building against a downloaded modern icu build, but
thatwas just about library naming or directory structure, or such.

Andres