Re: How do I create a database if I can't connect to it?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How do I create a database if I can't connect to it?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> On 7/27/07, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>>> For a short description, I'll just show the sequence of commands I'm trying
>>> to execute:
>>
>> This looks like a mistake.  Unless you plan to develop the PostgreSQL
>> code itself, you should not be installing from source.

> I don't necessarily agree with this advice.

Me either.  I was about to complain about this bit:

>>> paolo@box> createdb foo -p 5435

which is in fact not valid switch syntax for createdb --- the dbname has
to come after optional switches --- and experimentation shows that every
createdb since about version 7.3 has rejected it.  So either Paolo
wasn't giving us a verbatim transcript, or he had a really ancient
version of createdb in his path.  Subsequent discussion suggests a
permissions issue but I'm not convinced that was all there was to it.
In any case "don't install from source" is bad/irrelevant advice.