Re: Confusion on shared buffer

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Confusion on shared buffer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM, S Arvind <arvindwill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>          So for our scenario what is the most important factor to be noted
> for performance.

Tough to say without benchmarking, but if you have a lot of small
databases that easily fit in RAM, and a lot of concurrent connections,
I would think you'd want to spend your hardware $ on maximizing the
number of cores.

But there are many in this forum who have much more experience with
these things than me, so take that with a grain of salt...

(You might also want to look at consolidating some of those databases
- maybe use one database with multiple schemas - that would probably
help performance significantly.)

I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind it! As long as they are different objects, how would it help performance if tables are stored in separate schema, or in separate databases; or are you referring to the difference in size of system tables and the performance improvement resulting from keeping all metadata in a single catalog.

Best regards,
--
Lets call it Postgres

gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com