Re: Suppressing occasional failures in copy2 regression test

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Suppressing occasional failures in copy2 regression test
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Greg Stark <greg.stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> I'm not sure about that. It seems like race conditions with autovacuum
>> are a real potential bug that it would be nice to be testing for.
>
> It's not a bug; it's a limitation of our testing framework that it sees
> this as a failure.  Serious testing for autovac race conditions would
> indeed be interesting, but you're never going to get anything meaningful
> in that direction out of the current framework.

The elephant in the room here may be moving to some more
flexible/powerful testing framework, but the difficulty will almost
certainly be in agreeing what it should look like.  The actual writing
of said test framework will take some work too, but to some degree
that's a SMOP.

This tuple-ordering issue seems to be one that comes up over and over
again, but in the short term, making it a TEMP table seems like a
reasonable fix.

I am forwarding a mail perl script and a pair of sample files that I developed about an year ago. The forwarded mail text explains what the script is trying to do. A line beginning with '?' in the expected file is treated specially.

If a line begins with '?' then the rest of the line is treated as a regular expression which will be used to match the corresponding line from the actual output.

If '?' is immediately followed by the word 'unordered' all the lines till a line containing '?/unordered' are buffered and compared against corresponding lines from the result file ignoring the order of the result lines.

Although we at EnterpriseDB have resolved the issues by alternate files etc., and do not use this script, I think it might be useful for community regression tests.

Best regards,