Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Дата
Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release2019a.)  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release2019a.)  (Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> There is something wrong here. On Debian Buster/unstable, using
> system tzdata (2019a-1), if /etc/timezone is "Etc/UTC":

> 11.3's initdb adds timezone = 'UCT' to postgresql.conf
> 12beta1's initdb add timezone = 'Etc/UCT' to postgresql.conf

Hm, I don't have a Debian machine at hand, but I'm unable to
reproduce this using macOS or RHEL.  I tried things like

$ TZ=UTC initdb
selecting default timezone ... UTC

Is your build using --with-system-tzdata?  If so, which tzdb
release is the system on, and is it a completely stock copy
of that release?

Given the tie-breaking behavior in findtimezone.c,

 * ... Often there will be several
 * zones with identical rankings (since the IANA database assigns multiple
 * names to many zones).  We break ties arbitrarily by preferring shorter,
 * then alphabetically earlier zone names.

it's not so surprising that UCT might be chosen, but I don't
understand how Etc/UCT would be.

BTW, does Debian set up /etc/timezone as a symlink, by any chance,
rather than a copy or hard link?  If it's a symlink, we could improve
matters by teaching identify_system_timezone() to inspect it.