Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?

От David Wheeler
Тема Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mar 31, 2006, at 20:02, Tom Lane wrote:

>    You can give `configure' initial values for configuration
> parameters
>    by setting variables in the command line or in the environment.
> Here
>    is an example:
>
>      ./configure CC=c89 CFLAGS=-O2 LIBS=-lposix
>
> This isn't super helpful, of course, since it doesn't say exactly
> which
> variables any particular autoconf script responds to.  But pretty much
> all of the programs that a configure script searches for are reflected
> as variables.  A quick grep through our configure script for the
> phrase
> "Let the user override" finds a couple dozen hits, and that's just for
> programs, never mind non-program variables.

Right, but me, while I compile lots of stuff, I don't understand
configure or autconf at all. So I was completely unaware of this
feature. I'm very pleased to know it now, of course. But I don't see
how it could be any harm to add notes to the INSTALL file explicitly
letting users know how to do stuff like this. The INSTALL file is,
after all, what folks like me read when looking for information
beyond ./configure && make && make install. It would have helped me a
lot, and I see no disadvantage to including it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David