Re: PostgreSQL missing in SuSE 10?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL missing in SuSE 10?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gregory Youngblood <pgcluster@netio.org> writes:
> I've been using SuSE and PostgreSQL for a fairly long time. Recently
> (last 12 months), I've noticed that the 9.x (9.2 and 9.3 specifically)
> versions of SuSE do not include PostgreSQL on the CD install -- only on
> the DVD. At first (9.2), I thought it was just a glitch that didn't get
> fixed in 9.3. Now, it seems to have been deliberate.

The right thing to do is complain.

Linux packagers usually try to limit the size of the "core" distro to
three or four CDs, which these days calls for some pretty hard
compromises.  SuSE probably decided that Postgres wasn't sufficiently
widely used to justify a place in their core distro.  If they don't
get push-back from users, then that decision is self-justifying.

For comparison, Red Hat (which has slightly more sense than SuSE, in
my highly biased opinion) tried to push mysql-server out of the core
distro in RHEL3.  We got enough push-back on that to reverse the
decision.

> With SuSE 10.0, it appears PostgreSQL is not even included on the DVD.

Hm, does SuSE have a core/extras structure like Red Hat uses?  It'd be
plausible for them to put postgres clients/libs in core and the server
in extras (exactly what Red Hat did to mysql).  I would have thought
that a DVD release would include everything, though.

> The Novell web site says
> PostgreSQL 8.0.3 is included in the SuSE 10 distribution, and includes
> the packages for the full install. Reality appears to be just the libs.

In that case it may just be a packaging mistake ... but in any case,
if you don't complain they'll never change it.