Re: Link t the souce code

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Link t the souce code
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> v3 rewrites the text more aggressively, so that it opens with
> instructions to clone the Git repo, and the released version tarballs
> are mentioned further down.  The bad thing about this one is that in the
> devel version it still talks about files that don't exist; for example
> in branch master it renders as:

>     Alternatively, the released versions can be obtained from the download
>     section of our website: https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/. You
>     should get a file named postgresql-15devel.tar.gz or
>     postgresql-15devel.tar.bz2. After you have obtained the file, unpack it:>
>     tar xfa postgresql-15devel.tar.gz
>     This will create a directory postgresql-15devel under the current
     directory with the PostgreSQL sources. Change into that directory for
>     the rest of the installation procedure.

ISTM that specifying an exact version number here is rather pointless
anyway.  Could we drop the reference to an exact file name, and write
something like

    Alternatively, source code for released versions can be obtained
    from the download section of our website:
    https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/.
    Download the postgresql-<replaceable>version</replaceable>.tar.gz or
    postgresql-<replaceable>version</replaceable>.tar.bz2 file for the
    version you are    interested in, then unpack it:
    tar xfa postgresql-<replaceable>version</replaceable>.tar.gz
    This will create a directory
    postgresql-<replaceable>version</replaceable> under the current ...

Admittedly, someone who doesn't grok that
<replaceable>version</replaceable> is a variable might be confused
initially, but I think they'd soon figure it out after seeing the
file names on the server.