Re: Link t the souce code

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Link t the souce code
Дата
Re: Link t the souce code  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
On 2021-May-06, Tom Lane wrote:

> > 3. add a separate paragraph that says to obtain the source from the
> > other dir if it's the development one.
> > I kinda prefer the last one, because then we could also suggest to use a
> > Git repo instead of a tarball, which I suppose is the best option anyway.
>
> Yeah.  There is text mentioning the git repo further down, but it's
> hardly prominent.  We should move it up and recommend that as the
> best thing for dev work.

Here are two patches.  v2 is a minimal change; it just adds a
parenthical comment about the snapshot tarball and a mention of "the
text below" which is where the source code repository is mentioned.

v3 rewrites the text more aggressively, so that it opens with
instructions to clone the Git repo, and the released version tarballs
are mentioned further down.  The bad thing about this one is that in the
devel version it still talks about files that don't exist; for example
in branch master it renders as:

    Alternatively, the released versions can be obtained from the download
    section of our website: https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/. You
    should get a file named postgresql-15devel.tar.gz or
    postgresql-15devel.tar.bz2. After you have obtained the file, unpack it:

    tar xfa postgresql-15devel.tar.gz
    This will create a directory postgresql-15devel under the current
    directory with the PostgreSQL sources. Change into that directory for
    the rest of the installation procedure.

Now, we *could* make this fully correct by adding
--param pg.version.devel 'true'
(or something like that) to the Makefile, and include paragraphs
conditionally to make it fully correct.  I'm not sure it's worth the
effort.

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

Вложения